Monday, July 20, 2009

A full house!

So we only got a short 3 day break before the next TWO teams got here...that's right I said two. A team from Ohio got here last Saturday night (11th) and a team from Southshore, Mass. got here Sunday night. So we had about 40 people in the house Sunday night...CRAZY!! The teams however split up on Monday. Torey, Danielle, and myself went with the Southshore team back down to Bongolo Monday morning. We left at 8am and got there at 8pm....12 hours with 20 people packed into a van and a truck...it was quite a trip. While at Bongolo, the team worked on repairing some of the road near the hospital. They are dirt roads, so Tim Kelly (the missionary who housed us) brought in dirt and the team spread it into the pot-holes. The interns stayed in with Amanda Kelly and helped her cook and clean for the team. It was kind of a mini-vacation for us interns...it was nice to have some girl time and get to know Amanda (love her!!!). The Kelly's also have...*drum roll please*....a POOL! So we spent most nights in there relaxing. It was really nice. Not to mention, Amanda taught us how to make some home-made treats from scratch (pancakes, cookies, cake..mmmm). We had three work days (Tues, Wed, Thurs). I really loved getting to know the Southshore team as well. They are such a close-knit community of believers....so open and honest with one another. It was really refreshing to see. The debrief times every night were amazing, and I really felt God's spirit moving. It has really taught me to maintain close relationships with Christian brothers and sisters, because they are the ones who will build you up and keep you strong in your faith. Southshore youth group is really blessed to have the strong Christian relationships with one another! Friday morning we left to come back to Libreville. Saturday, we did a medical caravan in a fisherman village in Libreville. I was touched many times throughout the day. The Southshore team is really good about continually praying for one another and for others...they felt the need to pray for many patients we saw and were very bold to step out and actually do it! A woman with HIV came back to the Lord after doubting for many years. A young girl with cerebral palsy was prayed for while her mother had tears rolling down her cheeks. It was probably one of the best medical clinics I've been to. Sunday we went to church and had a relax day! This week the team will be working with a local church in Libreville. They are repairing a roof for the parsonage and also working with the water system. This team leaves Thursday and the next team arrives Friday! Not rest for the weary:). We don't have a break until Aug. 10th...and then I leave Aug 14th. The rest of the summer is going to fly by! I've learned so much...I just want to say thank you again to all those praying for me and who gave me support...you truly helped to change my life :). I've been really slack on taking pics lately..but here are a few pics from Intern-Night-Out during our short break last week. We went to a place called "Birdy Art" where they have all these exotic birds...it's so beautiful! We had a blast:)

Zach and Josef


Me and my Canadian roomie..Marley!


The Whole Group!!!
This is like our Gabonese wal-mart. Mbolo means "welcome" in one of the tribal languages. It's air conditioned and everything is highly over-priced. Haha....a lot of the Europeans that live in Gabon shop here.



A box of Special K for 5350 CFA (francs)...which is around $11!!! haha







1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time with Amanda! ...We had lots of quality time in the kitchen...Did you, by chance, cut any squash?

    I love reading about all your adventures...I'm in Germany now and its transporting me back to Gabon. I look up from my laptop and am disappointed to find I'm still in Germany :-(

    ReplyDelete